Translate

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thrifty Thursday!! DIY - Baby Romper Just in Time for Summer!

Today I made a baby romper!! Mine was in a size 18 months because as you can tell my wee peanut is not so much a baby as a toddler any more.. Sad face... But you can pretty much make this in any size imaginable!!

So here is the break down..
I found these rompers on etsy and for a pretty basic one like this it was 38 big one.. Even up to 50 for some of the fancier ones...
Mine cost:

Fabric was roughly 1/3 yard of quality quilting fabric that I got for 5 dollars a yard  I am going to say it was about 1.75
The thread was about .1 cent cuz the spool has like 250 yards on it and it was 2 bucks..
I used abit of elastic that maybe cost me .15 cents.. so I made this baby for just under 2 dollars!! Yep! a romper for under 2 bucks!

 So the most important part of making clothing is to wash, dry and iron your fabric!
 Then I just folded the fabric over and marked on the back. I layed down a dress that was 1 size too big for my baby so it would be baggy. I traced around it in a rectangle shape.
 This is what you end up with.
 So cut it out and I forgot to take a picture but I notched a corner o the fold to make the leg openings. I just eyeballed it. If your kid has chubby legs make the notch a bit smaller or if they are skinny make it bigger.. All about how you want it to look!
 place your just cut piece over the rest of your fabric and cut out the back panel.
snadwich them faces together and pin the sides and the center v.
 sew down sides with a 1/4 or so inseam.

 then stop for a diaper break if one is needed LOL!! she really wanted a new diapee!
 as you are sewing the crotch piece together make sure you back stitch a few time on the V. It will keep it from poping open!

 Now if you want to finish the ends on the sides and crotch fin your overlock stitch. Mine is 15 on my machine. It should look like that. No worries if yu dont have one just use a zig zag.
 thats what it will look like when it is all done.
 Next you just turn the top under and sew a big enough opening to insert some elastic and the legs do the same.
 Once you get your elastic in there pop that baby on your little one and go play!
If you want you can embelish it with all sorts of things.. This was just a demonstration of how to make a super quick, super cheap baby romper! I would suggest however if you have a baby that is walking around and bending that you sew some ribbon on to hold it up!

1 comment:

  1. I don't have the time to be crafty like you (or skill) but I love your Thrifty Thursdays:) Keep sharing! When is your US for gender? I'm dying to know if everything worked and you're getting your boy:)

    ReplyDelete