Translate

Friday, June 8, 2012

Thrifty Thursday ~ Car Junk Organizer Tutorial!!


Hello and welcome to this weeks edition of Thrifty Thursday!! This day is special because it's actually Friday.. Yep.. Been busy so sorry..

So today I made a Car Junk Caddy! Whoo Hoo! My husband is a neurotic neat freak so my thought is if I made something to hold the junk "neatly" in the car then he would stop cleaning it out of my car!!!!!!!!!! lol..

I found these on etsy averaging about 45 to 50 dollars for a good one. Some were 25 but honestly were junk.. Sorry guys.. Sometimes it's just better to do it yourself..

Fabric was about 3 dollars. The brown I used about a 1/3 of a yard and the yard was 5.10 and the paisley was a remnant I had so I think MAYBE a dollar for that I I rounded it to about 3..
I used some peltex that is 7.99 a yard and I used almost a half yard cuz I wanted this sucker rigid so I used 2 layers. If you are more frugal than I am 1 layer would work fine.
And elastic was maybe about 10 cents or so. It was like nothing..

So I am gonna say around 7 dollars... So for 7 bucks and about 2 hours (if you'r kids are up) you can have a snazzy car organizer!
 So I am not gonna put dimensions because I have a huge mini van and my seats are bigger than say a car.. So go measure the area you want your organizer to hang on. Then when you get that go cut your fabric. 2 rectangles.
 Once you get that done cut a piece of peltex that is about 1/2 inch or so smaller on all sides. and fuse that baby on there.. Hot steamy iron on the cotton side is the best way to do it.
 Yay.. 1 step done..
 For the pockets I cut another rectangle that was the same size as my front and back piece but I added about 3 inches to the length. Next time I won't do that so I would just make the pockets as big as the entire rectangle. Hope that makes sense.. LOL..
 Sandwich that baby hot dog style and sew 'er together! Just at the bottom. I messed up and forgot to sew a casing for the elastic on mine (I make mistakes too you know.. Jeez quit judging me!!!... ;))
 I wanted to hide the seam so I pressed it while the seam was in the middle of the tube. After this step you'll wanna sew a casing for the elastic. That's what I did and I liked how it turned out. Just sew it across where your top of the pocket will be.

 Now for pinning fun! Pin it on there so it fits across the bottom and sew it on.. Just the bottom for now.


 Once the bottom is on thread your elastic through the casing and pin the pocket on the panel.
 Like so..
 Like so again,..
 Now go ahead and sew the edges down. Like I said earlier I made it too long.. So yours can fit. It's ok..
 I trimmed off my excess. You should do this anyway with any fray so that you don't end up pulling pieces out later..
 On the bottom I wanted there to be 2 pockets so I figured out where I wanted it and threw a straight stitch down. I made sure to back stitch like 20 time at the top and the bottom for strength..

 This is what it should look like.

 So I have a mesh thing at the bottom of my seat so I put some small ribbon to tie it onto the mesh to keep it in place. Totally optional.
 You'll need a strap to keep it on the car. I just took a 3 inch piece of fabric and made sure to measure it where I wanted it to go in the car. I folded it over about 1/2 inch and ironed it then folded it over again and ironed. Sew a zig zag down the raw edge and that should work beautifully for you.
 Sorry BLURRY alert! Pin on the strap.
 Sew the back to the front with right sides facing eachother. Leave a big enough hole to pull it through. Peltex is a bitch to turn. Just warning you..
 I threw an iron on the back and top stitched the hole at the bottom closed and viola! DONESKY!
 Fill it and put it in your car. Not super hard.. Not super easy either! lol.. It'll do that trick for a good long time I believe!

3 comments:

  1. Super cute! My family and I make a road trip from TN to NY twice a year, with three kids. Not too fun. And to make matters worse my kids are always dropping things, and losing them in the floor boards because our seats have NO pockets at all on the back. I have been looking for cute seat holder things and just love this one! The elastic was a great idea! Will definitely be making these for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to find this post Very useful for me. as it contains lot of information. I Always prefer to read The Quality and glad I found this thing in you post https://www.eliaandponto.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping the same best effort from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing skills has inspired me. my review here

    ReplyDelete