Translate

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Thrifty Thursday! Fabric Covered Night Light Tutorial

Today we have a fabric covered night light! Yay! I saw these on etsy and LOVED how they look! So much better than those cheesy ones with buzz lightyear on them... yuck!
So the one I found on etsy that is relatively the same to this one just a different shape was selling for 19 bucks!

Night light from walmart    3.00
Riley Blake All Star fabric was 5.10 a YARD! So I am gonna guess like .10 cents..
felt was only like 5 cents
ribbon about the same and the button next to nothing..

All in all I would say this was somewhere arounf 3.25! CHEAP CHEAP just like I like it!

Step 1:
Gather zee junk! I broke the night light while peeling off a tinkerbelle sticker lol so that is why it is taped.. It happens..

Step 2:
Cut a small piece of fabric that is slightly bigger than your night light. If you peel off a sticker it will probably leave behind some residue so the fabric will stick in place.. Happy accident!

Step 3:
Just start folding the edges in.. There really isn't a method to it just try to keep it looking seemless on the front.
This is what mine looked like. .
And the front view.

Step 4:
Your bottom, although wont be seen from above it, needs to be covered cuz it could fray all weird..


I just took some felt and cut it in a half moon shape and cut a section out of the middle that looked like it would fit on there and it worked out pretty well.. This is optional.. It will look great even if you don't do the felt.

Step 5:
Now just eyeball out where you'd like your ribbon to go (if you're using any) and glue it on. I had to pull it off any try a few times becuase the contour of this shade is really weird and I am not 100% happy with it but it still looks really nice.. Im a perfectionist when it comes to my work! It's even worse with crocheting and knitting..

Step 6:
Add your star.. All I did was draw a star on the back and cut it out.. viola.. star..
Glue a button on and nighty night! You have a super cool night light! And you paid next to nothing for it! This whole project  took me about 25 minutes.. Happy Crafting folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment