Translate

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Thrifty.... Uh.. Tuesday... Wall Hanging..


 I know.. I am lame and haven't done one of these for like 2 weeks! Here is my make up project #1... So I was browsing the home decore aisle in JoAnns and I saw this awesome little star box for 60% off... It was 7.99 marked down from 19.99 so naturaly I HAD to buy it.. lol.. Then all the possibilities ran through my head and I came up with this..

So the tally for this project is...

7.99 for the star
1.49 for the "B" cut out (wood)
less than .01 cent for paint because I used like nothing and the whole bottle was .53 cents..
.50 cents or so for the fabric. I had it laying around for a long time and it is quilt shop fabric so im guessing..
.10 or so for modge podge..

Grand total.. About 10 dollars for an original.. PERSONALIZED piece of wall decor! Not bad..



  So I had to wing the star.. It was kinda tricky but if you work with it you'll get it in there just fine. I traced the back of the star and after I cut it out I cut little slits in all the corners and smothed it in the star.. Then just trimmed it as needed in the spots that didn't fit correctly.. I was going for sort of a country look so I wanted it to look a little rough.. If you want a clean look I would suggest trying to be more precise and maybe use a piece of tussue paper to trace the inside then cut out the fabric based on the tissue paper template.. All up to you!

 Then I just threw some Modge Podge on the bottom of the start first then laid the fabric back in there and threw another layer on top to give it a feel that it is supposed to be there lol..
 Modge podge tkaes forever to dry anf you may wanna put it outside overnight just to get it to dry all the way and not fume your house out... It's bad..
 This is my overnight drying example.. Still not all dry but it's dry where I need it to be..
 Then I painted the letter in the color that matches most of my decor.. Burgundy..
I have had this gold pen since Jordan and I have been together LOL! It finally came in handy! However, I think silver woul've looked much better! lol...
 Isn't that super cool! Very shabby chic!
 So I decided after I got it on there that I should make it look older so I took some fine sand paper and sanded down the edges a bit..
I ended up sanding the whole letter to give it a worn look but i think it came out great and will look stellar on my wall! Have fun with it! Make it your own and you can use any shape you want that will fit your decor. I like vintage country looking stuff so hence the star.. If you have a more modern sort of style I think a circle or a box would look cool too..

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! What do you do with your girls during the assembly of these fabulous creations? I'm thinking I might have a chance of completeion, ....only IF I duct taped mine to the wall!? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Cindy's question!! What DO your girls do while you are crafting? G would NEVER let me do something like this! All my projects require him to be sleeping or at Grandma's! Case in point: Last night I was cutting some fabric and if his finger doesn't heal tonight, I think we'll be going in for stitches tomorrow:(

    SUPER cute...I think I will modify it for an art project I'm planning this summer:) I'll share pics if I ever actually get around to it!

    ReplyDelete